This document provides an overview of common authentication issues that users might encounter when connecting their Microsoft accounts to Nylas.
Note about VPNs
If a user's mail server is behind a VPN or firewall, or has strict MDM policies in place, we may not be able to support connecting their account.
You may encounter these errors on the auth logs page of your developer dashboard from time to time.
Sometimes a user will receive an invalid password error even if they type the correct password in. If they are sure the password is correct, there are a few other things that could cause them to receive an Invalid Credentials error:
- If they have two-factor authentication enabled for their email account, they will often need to generate an app-specific password.
- If the two-factor authentication service in use doesn't support app passwords, please reach out to [email protected] for suggestions.
- Autodiscovery could be trying to login to the wrong server.
- Ask the email administrator what server and port information should be used to connect. Then, try logging in again by adding these settings under advanced settings.
- Make sure they aren’t logging in with an email alias. They must log in to the actual account.
- Make sure mobile device provisioning is enabled and that ActiveSync connections are allowed: see Suggested Office 365 Settings.
- Check that Nylas devices aren’t quarantined or blocked: see Checking for quarantined EAS devices.
This indicates that a temporary error occurred on the mail server when we tried to authenticate the user's account. In most cases, retrying the request should resolve the issue.
Nylas was unable to automatically determine the correct connection settings using Autodiscovery. The user should reach out to their mail administrator and ask for the correct connection settings they can use to manually connect.
Nylas was unable to connect using the server settings that were provided. The user should reach out to their mail administrator and ask for the correct connection settings they can use to manually connect.
Updated 3 months ago